Saturday, April 19, 2008

The End is Near


Sarah, Kendel, Ann (my roommate for next year), and I

Most of you probably know that I only have one week of school left. This next week I have finals and I am moving back Friday night! Summer one week away and I am in utter shock. I can not believe that 8 months ago I was moving in as a Freshman and that I am already moving out as a Sophomore. I never could have imagined this year going by so fast.

I figured I would write a blog on my college experience and see if I have anything wise to say for those of you who will be entering college next year.

This year was not what I had hoped for. I came into school hoping for the time of life. Everyone always says that college is where you will find yourself and have the best experiences of your life. I didn't quite get this experience. I am not saying I have given up hope. I plan on college getting better over the next few years. Older people even tell me that there Freshman year stunk and Sophomore year got a lot better. I am also not saying that this year was horrible. New transitions always come with troubles though. I liked classes for the most part. There are always those boring ones. It was really neat to have professors who actually cared for the students, as compared to half of the high school teachers. Classes were educational and I know I will be prepared for my career. There of course were troubles in living areas. What can you expect when living with 23 other girls though? I haven't "found myself" so to say, but I am not really looking. I don't really feel like I need to search so much as to just experience. I know my everyday experiences and choices will help me figure this one out. I will also admit that I got out of college what I put into it. The things that I chose to participate in were always worthwhile. It is my fault that I didn't choose to participate in everything. The year is ending nicely though. I got hired as a peer advisor for first semester of next year. It is similar to LINK leader at Beaverton except I get paid! I also found out I got a 1500 scholarship I applied for! woo hoo. We will see how much it helps though since I haven't gotten my award statement yet.

As for this summer, I plan on working full time. Part time with Ms. Piller, nannying her little boy, and part time hopefully as a waitress at Chilis or Red Robins. I am excited for next year. I get to live with a room mate of my own choice and Zack and my friends will be here. It will be awesome.

So a word to all you seniors from a slightly experienced college student. The year is almost over! It may seem like there is a lot left...but it is only barely over a month. You will have so much senior stuff going on that it will just fly by! So depending on who you are, savor it because some of these people you will never see again. It is very true. I talk to a very select few from high school. Also realize that if you want to hold on to your friends from high school, it is possible. Just know that it will take effort on your part. If you don't care to savor it, then do your work, be successful and just slide on through it. Don't get the impression that this summer will be your last as a child. It isn't. It is just the beginning. Make sure you have all your stuff ready for next year. It is fun to buy new things!

As far as next year. Don't be afraid to be yourself. You can be shy or outgoing. It is your choice. If you want to be someone new then do it! But no one is forcing you to. Most importantly though, be yourself and meet people that way. It is hard when often times I get the impression that people are hiding who they are or they act like the have multiple personalities depending on who they are with. Remember that the friends you make will probably be different then the ones you had in high school. There are a ton of people coming from many different backgrounds and it will take perseverance and strength to accept them all and love them all for who they are. Also, the school will make it seem like your first weekend there is the only weekend you will make friends. This is not true. Most of the time the friends you make will be the ones from your dorm floor. You don't need to become best friends the first weekend. I met most of my good friends half way through the year. In fact, the first weekend you will meet so many people, you won't even know who you met by the end. Don't panic. It really isn't that important. Also, the first month could be hard. But you are not alone. Everyone is feeling the same thing as you even if they appear otherwise. Classes aren't any harder than high school. It just involved more reading. Many people won't do the reading, but trust me, it helps you be successful. Don't be afraid to try new things, but also don't feel like you are forced to. You always have a choice. When you are around people all the time, sometimes alone time can be a blessing.

Well I think I gave you plenty of things to think about. I hope all is well and I will be seeing you all soon! (Not like I don't already :) )

5 comments:

Zacky said...

Thanks for the heads up. Glad to hear that you enjoyed your first year! Can't wait for you to be home. :)

Mindy said...

May I please have another to read???

Mindy said...

STILL NOTHING NEW LIER!!!!

Mindy said...

Ouch... that hurts!!! Still lying to me! I'm almost in tears!

Kristiny-Head said...

I'm Sorry Mindy! I will try. I will actually put it on my to do list.